Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dun dun dun....home inspection

I knew it was going to be bad. The realtor told us "He's here to tell you everything that's wrong, not what a great deal you got". It still sucks. It's crazy how quickly the price of something can double...and then add $200 on top. AHH! 

We knew going into this the house had some problems. It was built in about 1905, it's vacant and we don't know the last time anyone has lived there, and we've seen water in the basement when we first viewed the property. I think I was better prepared to hear what the inspector had to say than my husband was. But it wasn't a good day for either of us. It's a big hit on the bank account to write a check for very near $1400 and NOT get paid for the day, and still have all kinds of questions looming while we wait for the samples of mold to come back. This whole home ownership thing is serious stuff. A lot of decisions to make and never really knowing if we're making the right choices. 

I'm hoping that come Monday I'm popping in to say how the mold isn't THAT serious and if we can just pitch the sidewalks and flower beds away from the house, and move the gutters, and dig out deep window wells, and install a sump pump, and pour another 2 inches of concrete, and run a dehumidifier 24/7 we can get rid of 95% of the problem....


And then there's the roof! Oh man, what an exhausting day. At least I had an hour and 15 of softball to get my mind off of it. So glad I'm playing again this year. It is so much fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment